Okay so I know it has been about three months since my surgery and I am back to my old self again, but I just started this blogging thing and I thought some of you may be interested in how awful I looked. I couldn't believe how bad I looked now that I just saw the pictures myself. I don't know who already has heard the stories but I thought it would be fun to put it down. I went to McKay Dee hospital on June 17. I went in at 8:00 a.m. to have my aortic valve replaced with a cow valve. This fixed the hole that I had in my heart and makes it possible to have kids. So I went in and it took about 4 hours to complete the surgery and then the first thing I remember is waking up and trying to open my eyes and seeing blurry objects. Soon after they allowed Matt in to see me. I tried my best to open my eyes but I couldn't see much. Then.they allowed the whole family in to the ICU and I remember seeing several of them begin crying when they saw me. At the time I didn't know why but if you see the pictures you would know why. I had breathing tubes down my throat and a tube coming out of my neck. That was the kicker. That is what made the family loose it.
I remember being in ICU and the nurses making me get out of the bed for the first time about a day after surgery. Man that didn't feel good they had me get on a scale and I weighed 20 lbs. more than I did the day before. That was not good. It was all the fluids they were pumping into me. Then they made me sit in a recliner so that my lungs could drain. The worst part about ICU was when they had to remove all the tubes. The hose in my throat wasn't too bad but the chest tube wasn't so much fun. I was screaming as they pulled it out. They also took out the tube in my neck and that one also didn't feel too great. Once all the tubes were pulled they then put me into a recovery room where I stayed for four days.
Coming home after the fifth day I had a hard time sleeping, sitting, and breathing, but I made it work and having my mom stay with me was nice. She had to help me shower, walk, and move. Within a week I was able to do all that on my own and my mom went home. It was a long process to get back to where I am now but I am feeling good again and that makes it all worth it.
8 comments:
I am so glad that the surgery went so well and that it is over and done with. Sorry I haven't returned your phone call. I do need to talk to you but just so you know it was Larz Lambertson and he is married so I don't think it was him! I hope you know I love you!
OK, nice stuff first. It was good to hear that your surgery went well. I can't believe how much you have to go through! You are amazing.
Now, the not so nice stuff. Where do you get off having a blog and not telling me? You have me linked and you have never so much as commented on mine! If you weren't my cousin, I would cut you off... OK not really but seriously. :)
Really though, I love that your blogging. It is a good thing to cave into as long as you don't get consumed by it. You'll have to comment once in a while now.
Jacki, congrats on your successful surgery and recovery.
First, I'm so glad you have a blog and that I found it. Yeah! And second holy crap Jacki. I can't believe those pictures. You were in our prayers and we were so thankful to get the text from Matt that everything went great. I hope you are doing/feeling better. How's school going? Now we can keep in touch better...our blog is dmgreen.blogspot.com
Jacki I'm so glad that you are doing much better, and that your recovery went well. You are so tough to go through such an ordeal. I hope things are going well at school so far this year!! Hopefully I run into you again at the grocery store!
Check out our blog :)
www.colbyandmel.blogspot.com
I am glad everything went ok! We watch how these surgeries go, maybe one day our Scottie will need one. Hope and pray it all works out well for you :)
my blog is norman-heather.blogspot.com
hi jacki! it's been so long. fun to see your blog. i'm glad your surgery went well and hope you are feeling great.
it was so crazy to see your niece reese on your sidebar. she's grown up. she was a new baby when you were my visiting teacher. time flies.
hope you have a happy holiday.
Ohhh you poor girl! What a surgery...thats crazy. I hope you are feeling better and glad to hear all went well. :)
Post a Comment